Sao Paulo is listed as 2nd in the national smart city ranking, released in August 2015 by Connected Smart Cities organization in partnership with Urban Systems, a Business Intelligence and major research company in this field. It is one of the world’s most complete methodology to analyze and list smart City projects.
The ranking is divided in 3 categories, analyzing 11sectors in more than 70 indicators. In total, they have researched and listed 700 cities just in Brazil.
Smart Eco House Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo hosts the first smart home energy-autonomous of Latin America, created and developed in partnership with over 50 companies. This pilot residence, inhabited by a family of 4 people has all the demands of a normal middle class house, however, thanks to ecological practices, consume almost 50% less natural resources.
The project of the house was fully designed and developed by Mr Johnn Barassal, a Brazilian electronic engineer but the idea of an ecological smart home came from his son in 2010, when he was just 4 years old. The boy had contact with the subject on a project in kindergarten.
Smart Eco House in Brazil, in partnership with over 50 companies, built the first Smart Eco energy-autonomous House of Latin America, integrating cutting-edge technology and sustainable solutions for energy, water and automation.
According to John, his house help us to understand that is not necessary to sacrifice our daily comfort in order to be more sustainable.
One of the most remarkable project in the house is the electric Energy production. The house is able to produce monthly almost 5 times more energy than it consumes. Two systems are available:
1. The traditional solar panels connected to the city grid. The extra on grid energy produced by solar panels are 100% sold to the local distributor.
2. Off grid small wind generator, developed in partnership with a Japanese company. The clean wind energy is used to power almost all the electronic devices in the house, included the datacenter . It can also supply the house 8 continuous hours of lighting in case of a blackout. The extra off grid energy is currently stored in normal car batteries.
Check now some sustainable technologies used in the house:
- Convection Heating System
- Rainwater harvesting
- Water treatment
- Daylight Redirection Systems (Sun pipe)
- Central datacenter
- Face recognition security systems
- App controlling 100% of the devices in the house
- On time / on line utility usage reports
- IoT and wearables